A warm and fuzzy Undercover Hoodie


My boyfriend was flush with new warm hoodies, courtesy of myself, and I decided I needed to make myself one.  I used the Papercut Patterns Undercover Hood pattern which I've made about 30 times.  I used the size XS that I usually cut for myself and added an extra inch at the sides so it would be a little roomier, since this would be outerwear, and I also cut the front down the center to add a zip.

Time to go fabric shopping!

The main fabric was a beautiful deep teal I found at Mood Fabrics' website


It's a cotton poly blend, 80" wide (so 1.5 yards was plenty) and is fleece-y on one side and more like a sweatshirt look on the other side.  While browsing for fleece I discovered this:


a Marc Jacobs fleece knit! I want to line all of my future jackets with this (so I bought 3 yards!)

I lined the front, back and hood with the shearling-look knit. I made most of it on my serger except for the zipper insertion and some topstitching.  It was super thick in parts, but the machine could handle it.  The only thing it couldn't handle was the waistband (so it has none).  I hand stitched the hood lining to the neck seam so it would be subtle and not have big serger threads going around it.


It's SO warm I can't believe it.


I should have added a little extra size to the sleeves, but it's no big deal. I like the raglan sleeve on this pattern.


Back view of my mega-hood. I ended up putting the sweatshirt-look on the outside. 


Hood up!


The inside, fully lined.  I actually wanted to line the front pockets, but it was too bulky...


How it looks unzipped


Hood up, back view.


I love it! Of course, as soon as I trimmed the threads, Nor Cal decided winter was over, so I haven't been wearing it as much as I'd like. But it's great for sitting around the fire pit with a cocktail.





Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!