The Louis Antoinette Janis Jacket

Good morning! Today I have the first of three coats/jackets I've been working on this week - the Janis Jacket from Louis Antoinette Paris.
If you're new to my blog, you should know that I love to make coats and jackets. I saw some really beautiful versions of this on Instagram, and even though I wasn't sure about the puffed shoulders, I decided to buy the pattern and put it on my to-sew list.

I used some gray wool coating I bought in-store at Mood a few years ago.  Not very exciting, but my coats have a lot of color/patterns/plaid/polka dots/fur, and I could use a few more basic pieces in my outerwear. It does have some subtle texture:
 As I mentioned, this is unlined. I know for some people an unlined jacket is unfathomable, but I don't mind it in this case, and an experienced sewist could easily drop in a lining.

I cut the size 40, no alterations. LAP has you first serge all of the raw edges, which makes the actual construction go quickly.  This only took a few hours, plus a little bit of hand sewing the sleeve and bottom hems.  The results:

Kitchen photos on a cold and rainy day, sorry! But I like it quite a bit. The weight of this fabric makes it almost like a blazer.  You could definitely sew it in a suiting weight or a heavier coating fabric, it's quite versatile that way. 
There are no closures in the front.  If you love pockets....
  
  
The sizing is fairly straightforward.  I did have to shorten the sleeves, you can see they are still a bit on the long side, how I like them, but I was looking at a 6 cm deep hem, so I trimmed some away.

I really like the shoulder design! I didn't know if it would be "me", but it's not too exaggerated, and I think it makes it interesting without being too much.



 The inside. Serged edges! 😱😱

Overall, I think this is really well drafted, good instructions, simple to sew. I would definitely make it again, I think the fact that it is unlined makes it a nice option for spring/fall - transitional seasons. It's not weather appropriate for me right now as a jacket, but I would actually wear it like I would wear a blazer. 
Happy Sewing!















Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!