Sewaholic Cambie

Ok, I am a late arrival to the Sewaholic Cambie party.  I kept looking at the pattern and debating whether or not it was 'me'.
Sewaholic makes me so confused sometimes....
But I do like a sweetheart neckline, so eventually I decided to just try it. I bought the pattern and decided to make view A, the A-line skirt.  I cut my usual Sewaholic size 6 and made a quick muslin of the bodice. I had to let it out a bit at the ribs, because mine are extra meaty I guess.  My fabric was a black tropical weight wool from Gorgeous Fabrics (the remnants of which is used to make a Hollyburn skirt) and some awesome pebble lining from Fabric.com. (I mentioned this in the Hollyburn post, but I bought this wool as the Fabric of the Day, $10/yd, 3 yards - when it was all over I ended up with a dress and a skirt (wool) for $30, plus a few dollars for lining, zippers, thread. Not bad!)

The assembly is easy, her instructions are excellent, and there is a tutorial online for attaching the lining using her method, if you're so inclined. The bodice is self-lined, but the sleeves and skirt are lined with pebbles and I used lace hem tape on the hem, and an invisible zipper.  The tropical weight wool is really easy to work with (it was my first time using it).  Despite my ribs, the end result fit perfect!

POCKETS!
Hmm, the back is not as wonky as it appears in this photo...

Pebbles lining the sleeves.
I loved my pebbles lining so much! I wished it was visible. Maybe I can make a skirt or tank out of the leftovers.
I wore it to a geology conference with tights and boots (if I can't decide if something is too girly for me, I just wear it with my moto boots. Problem solved.) and was extremely comfortable and happy in it all day. 
If its too girly just wear badass boots. 
I need more sweetheart necklines in my closet!
I really like this dress - while I don't have any plans to make it again soon (it's not a wear-every day item, and I'm trying to make stuff that I can wear to work, wear daily), the pattern is definitely a keeper because I think it is adorable and has a lot of potential for different events and occasions.

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!