KwikSew 3764 - Plaid 'n' Pleather Moto Jacket

Another one of my #MakeNine2018 projects completed - my plaid moto jacket.
Probably the most worn RTW garment I own is a faux leather moto jacket I got from ASOS last year, with the goal of eventually replacing it with a handmade version.  That plan was set aside when I came across this photo of a buffalo plaid-leather moto jacket, which moved to the top of the moto priority list.
I had planned on using Kwik Sew 3764. Kwik Sew is, for me, the best of the Big 4 Pattern companies in terms of logical construction and good instructions.  I decided to make version B, which is more basic, and save all of my zips and hardware for when I made view A in straight faux leather.

I cut a size S and did make a muslin - this is unlined, and I wanted a closer fit, so the S was perfect. Time to cut into my fabric: a gorgeous green wool buffalo check plaid I bought from Stitches Seattle when I was in town last October.  I remember they asked what I was going to make with it, and I told them "maybe…

Sew Your Own ActiveWear (Melissa Fehr) - Pattern/Book Review

Last week I received a surprise early delivery of "Sew Your Own Activewear" by Melissa Fehr of Fehr Trade Patterns.  I had pre-ordered it, since I enjoyed sewing my own activewear and had purchased several Fehr Trade patterns over the past few years and always found them to be well-designed. 

If you don't already know, the book contains pattern blocks for tops and bottoms sized from XXS to XL.  Each of the designs in the book can be constructed by tracing and modifying the provided blocks. Normally, I do not like tracing, and I don't buy patterns that require it - ever. But I made an exception! (The book also contains info on general construction, fabric selection, garment care, etc.  Lots of good information.)

I made the Hoodie, which I'd had my eye on for a while.  I found some AMAZING merino/nylon/lycra fabric at a local specialty fabrics store, The Rain Shed. It is soft, and stretchy, and kind of spongey and I've never found anything quite like it before.…

The Louis Antoinette Janis Jacket

Good morning! Today I have the first of three coats/jackets I've been working on this week - the Janis Jacket from Louis Antoinette Paris.
If you're new to my blog, you should know that I love to make coats and jackets. I saw some really beautiful versions of this on Instagram, and even though I wasn't sure about the puffed shoulders, I decided to buy the pattern and put it on my to-sew list.

I used some gray wool coating I bought in-store at Mood a few years ago.  Not very exciting, but my coats have a lot of color/patterns/plaid/polka dots/fur, and I could use a few more basic pieces in my outerwear. It does have some subtle texture:
 As I mentioned, this is unlined. I know for some people an unlined jacket is unfathomable, but I don't mind it in this case, and an experienced sewist could easily drop in a lining.

I cut the size 40, no alterations. LAP has you first serge all of the raw edges, which makes the actual construction go quickly.  This only took a few hours…

Completed: Goldstream Peacoat by Thread Theory Designs

The first project from my #MakeNine2018 plans is the Goldstream Peacoat by Thread Theory designs.  We were packing up to move from California to Oregon and it struck me: "Tim, do you have a winter coat?" Because I hadn't seen him wear one for six years, and he might be needing it! Since I love making coats I volunteered to make him a nice peacoat. 
He wanted a very dark charcoal, so I found a nice midweight wool (#316376) from Mood and Tim picked out a red plaid cotton blend lining (#316000) - if I was making a coat, he wanted a warm coat.  Black leather buttons, also from Mood and interfacing from Sew True Supply (aka the good shit).

I cut a size M based on his measurements and made a quick muslin.  The only alteration from the straight M was to move the shoulder point in 3/4" - he did not want shoulder pads, otherwise it probably wouldn't have needed any adjustment at all. I made the classic version, Tim wanted the epaulets, pockets, all of it.

This was my fi…

My #2018MakeNine Sewing Plans

Last year I made a short list of some ambitious sewing projects I wanted to tackle in 2017, and not only did I cross most of them off the list, but they were all at least fairly successful, I would say!  So I was inspired by the #2018MakeNine posts to sit down and think about nine projects I'd like to make this coming year. In no particular order:

Thread Theory Patterns Goldstream Peacoat - for Tim. I already bought the fabric, and am working on a fit muslin, so this is my January 2018 project.
Papercut Patterns Otsu Jeans - formerly known as the Peter and the Wolf trousers, now in front fly jeans form! I've developed some pants-making confidence this year, and have a lot of stretch denim and twill in my stash that will work for this pattern.
A plaid wool moto jacket, using KwikSew 3764. I also already have a few possible fabrics for this and a muslin cut out. The theme is "I already have the fabric in my stash", since I'm leaving my job in a few weeks to move to…