Style Arc Monica Pant - Running Tights!

I just finished making the Monica Pant by Style Arc -

http://www.stylearc.com.au/stylearc/images/2013/MONICA-PANT.jpg
Sporty!

It's described as: This “must have” sports legging has ease & comfort with an added gusset and back knee inserts that allows movement when walking, running or exercising at the gym. Interesting elastic waistband adds style and ease of wearing.

Normally I avoid Style Arc pants because my waist and hip sizes are so different, but since this involves STRETCH, and I have some really old New Balance running tights that are getting worn out, I decided to try it. 

I bought a size 12, which fits my butt but is at least 4" too big at the waist.  My fabric was some poly-spandex I got on clearance from J&O Fabrics:
Water drops stretch fabric
It didn't have quite enough 4 way stretch, but it would do.

The pattern has some cool design lines as you can see, but since this was my first pass at it, I just made it in all the same fabric (but I have plans for future versions!)

Style Arc patterns are always well drafted, I don't even cut the notches because it always lines up exactly the way it should.  It was easy to sew and I made it mostly on my serger. The only change I made was to shorten it a little beyond the 7/8 length option - I like my running tights to come just below my knee. Pictures!!

Warning - this fabric is a little lightweight. Although my undies show thru my New Balance tights too, so whatever.   Luckily there's no one else out at 5:30 am when I usually run!
I like the placement of the yoke - its more balanced (unlike the Ooh La La Leggings, which is too low)

I lied - I did make one more change, and that was to add a drawstring.  I like my pants to stay up while running.  The hip/waist size issue didn't matter too much since there is elastic in there. I didn't like the way the waistband went together, but no big deal, I'll just do it differently next time.

Full length shots:


TIME TO ROAD TEST THEM!!!
These felt great to run in. I didn't have to fidget with them at all. The crotch gussets (not pictured!!) give them a little extra mobility than a standard legging. I felt gusseted!
4 miles later! Happy with my new pants.
Overall, I love these and can't wait to make a few more pairs!!  Good on ya, Style Arc :-)


Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!