Faux Leather Jacket - Butterick 6169 by Lisette

This will just be a short little post about my just finished asymmetrical zip jacket, Butterick 6169.
Described as: Semi-fitted, lined jacket has shoulder pads, seam detail, welt pockets, exposed zipper, and two-piece sleeves.  I want to make myself a full on moto jacket at some point, so I'm working my way up to, starting with this pattern.  I made a muslin for a straight size 12, and only made two small changes: First, a swayback adjustment. It was very roomy at the small of my back, and I know it's described as semi-fitted, but I didn't like the look and I took out a few inches back there so it would fit close when I had it zipped. Second, the pocket bags are not drafted for adult human hands. They are crazy small so I drew them large enough to put my hand in them (see the picture above? Her hand can't go any farther in!) Otherwise, it was a great little jacket pattern.

I spent about a day working on this, there's not a lot of hand sewing, just the lining at the end.  I used a nightshade (aka dark purple) embossed faux leather from Mood Fabrics which had a nice soft backing on it, so I omitted the interfacing:
It did not suggest topstitching the seams, and I debated it for a while....but this is a softer faux leather, and sometimes these tend to get a bit distorted with topstitching, even using a Teflon foot. So I didn't topstitch it. (You can see a bit of this distortion on one of the pockets. One is fine, one isn't, whatever).
Zipped, hands fully in larger pockets!

There's something goofy at the right shoulder/sleeve.  I basted it in, and it looked ok, but it's not.  Faux leather is a bit slippery and shifty, so I'm assuming it just got a bit off. I'll live with it.

Back view, with nipped in waistline
The shoulders look a bit low, but they looked ok on the muslin...I didn't add shoulder pads but may go back and do so.
I like the asymmetrical zip.




Even though I have some minor fit issues I need to work out, I like this pattern and I'd make it again, eventually.  The purple faux leather is fun but still kind of works as a neutral, and I think I'll wear this a lot in the fall!  (I didn't do a full on pattern review because this pattern has a lot of good reviews already up, and I didn't have too much new to say other than those pockets are too damn small!)

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!