Simplicity 1589 - A Pattern Review Deer to My Heart (aka the Jagermeister top)

I was really depressed about winter ending in early February this year (I hate California!) so I decided to make some spring/summer things to cheer me up. I recently bought Simplicity 1589 on a whim - I liked the back cutout but don't often wear loose fitting blouses. 

I cut a size 10 based on the ease and the final garment measurements and cut view A, with the open back. Before I cut the fabric I shortened the bodice 1".  Speaking of my fabric, it was a crazy Echino decoro cotton sateen I bought a while back from Fabricworm:

I am a sucker for deer fabric for some reason...especially if they're wearing eyeglasses. When I got this, Tim pointed out that it looked like the Jagermeister logo:

So this is my Jager blouse.

This was easy to sew - its pretty basic and its a 'learn to sew' pattern so the instructions are very clear and explicit, if I was a new sewer I would have appreciated them!  I sewed this up in about an hour or so, it's pretty fast!


My deer are ready for their close-up
Front view - not too blousy. I actually like it! I wouldn't wear it with the full skirt I have on above though, it would have to be more fitted.
I LOVE the back! LOVE. The open part is perfectly placed with respect to bra straps, which is nice. Love the back...
I took another inch off the back before I hemmed it, but I think it's still too long - plus, I'm 'posing' which exaggerates the problem. I should have done a sway-back adjustment to the back piece, and will do in the future. For now I'll just lop another inch or two off the bottom. I don't like when tops rest on my butt like a shelf.

Overall, I liked it! And was a little surprised I liked it, but how could I not love those deer? I will still shorten it up some more, but so far the Jager top is my first successful spring/summer 2015 project. It's crisp and comfortable, and it's nice to have a few tops that aren't too clingy for hot days. And, fun fact, contrary to urban legend, Jagermeister does not contain deer blood. So drink up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6447 ~ Octopus Day Dress ~ A little icing, a little cake!

The Briscoe Trench Coat - Vintage Dior for Vogue

Carhartt Canvas