A Lasercut Gabriola skirt

I don't know how I feel about maxi skirts.  I haven't worn one since I was 22 probably. I was intrigued by Sewaholic's new Gabriola pattern, so I decided to roll the dice.
I was intrigued by the yoke design.
I decided to make in in this chartreuse, laser-cut microfiber fabric I found at Gorgeousfabrics.com

This is my high-fashion inspiration.
Maxiskirts are fabric hogs, and this was no exception, plus the lasercut fabric is peekaboo, so I had to line it. I used some white cotton voile. 3 yards of each! So I basically made it twice, and it was fairly time- and fabric-consuming (and cash consuming!)

I cut a size 6, which is what I always wear in Sewaholic skirts and dresses.  I cut, and cut, and cut out pieces forever!  I sewed the green shell with my machine and just sewed the lining with the serger.  It was easy to sew, no real issues other than there are a lot of pieces. I attached the waistband, inserted the zipper, hung it up for 2 days to let the bias cut settle out before I hemmed it.
When I put it on....the waistband stuck out.

Front view
It wasn't flat to my body. I have no idea, I assume its the fabric? Because I haven't seen other reviews where people had this problem. 
No. and no.
I underlined the lasercut fabric with interfaced voile, same procedure I always do.  I don't think it's that it's too big, because I don't think I've lost weight and the hips fit. Strange - and crappy. I can't wear it like that. What to do, because I've put too much time/fabric/money into this for it to not be wearable.
Tucking in didn't help, hiking it up higher on my body didn't help, sitting it lower on my waist didn't help, and if it could be helped by tightening the waistband piece, it would have need more at the top than the bottom. Does that make sense? The cat has to turn away, he can't look at this tragedy.
Solution -turn the waistband down. My initial idea was to turn in down, stitch it down then cut off the remains, but leaving it in gives some structure to the waistline. So now I have a waistband-less (topless?) Gabriola skirt.
The end result - meh. 

Waistband - it still kind of hangs away from my body.

Whatever.






I am totally unexcited by it.  I'm not even happy to be photographing it - I think my expression says it all.

I'm just kind of meh about it, which sucks, because a lot of time and fabric went into it.  It looks fine, but I don't love it. I'd make it again in a shorter length (because I don't like the maxi) but the waistband issue concerns me. Meh.

UPDATE: I'm wearing it to work today. I am feeling better about it today - other than having to gather my skirts like Laura Ingalls Wilder when I get on/off the train or approach stairs. The green lasercut is really cool looking, the waist still bothers me, but I'm feeling slightly happier with it this morning.
Too bad the natural light washes out the color a bit.
Some weird hip puckers that I think are the result of it not hanging from my waist. I don't know, maybe I should have made a size down. I don't know anything anymore!!





Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!