A (Faux) Leather Hollyburn - for the Vegans

This isn't really a pattern review because I have at least 3 Hollyburns in my closet already.   I was seeing a lot of leather skirts in easier silhouettes (as opposed to sexy and vampy - not that there's anything wrong with that!) in magazines, and decided to make a version for myself. 

I bought some black vegan leather from Califabrics.com:
I was really happy with this fabric when it arrived - it's beautiful, and looks really high-quality for pleather. It had been sold out (because I bought the rest since I liked it so much, ha!) but looks like they've restocked here.

I sewed a size 6 like I usually do with a Hollyburn and sewed version B. The only difference was to use a teflon foot for the pleather and lengthen my stitches, especially for topstitching the pockets, etc. I had no issues sewing the pleather, it was easy with the teflon foot!  I did some test stitches on a scrap, which I usually do and would recommend any time its a new fabric or technique.
I experimented with hems and in the end decided just not to hem it; I sewed a line of topstitching around the bottom for a pseudo-hem look.

Pictures! (with my leopard tee-shirt, cotton jersey also from Califabrics.com)





The pocket doesn't normally look janky like that. I must have just pulled my hand out...

I love it! I like having a leather skirt that is a little less aggressive in its shape, so it seems more work appropriate, but it's still leather. Ladylike leather, to sex up your Hollyburns!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6447 ~ Octopus Day Dress ~ A little icing, a little cake!

The Briscoe Trench Coat - Vintage Dior for Vogue

Carhartt Canvas