Papercut Patterns Undercover Hood

I'm becoming a huge fan of Papercut Patterns. I've previously reviewed their Coppelia cardigan, I've made a wearable muslin of their Ooh La La Leggings, and I have a few more in my stash. Today I'm reviewing their Undercover Hood hoodie pattern.
shown with the Ooh La La Leggings

I've made two of these so far, one in a novelty rayon blend jersey I found on Fabric.com
its green AND has dinosaurs!!?? did they read my mind?

And one with some BRIGHT yellow knit from Califabrics.com
I feel like IT'S SHOUTING AT ME!!

(The yellow one is a gift for my cousin whose favorite color is yellow. I myself don't do yellow).

This pattern is described as a "sloppy fit hoody with a raglan sleeve, nice and long in the body and sleeves, lined hood, and a front pocket. Wide sleeve and hem cuffs. A great basic for any wardrobe, good for layering or on its own."  All of which I agree with! Since the Coppelia ran so big on me and I didn't want this to be too sloppy, I cut an XS.  For the first one (green dinos) I omitted the front pocket, either because I thought it would be too busy with the dino print, or because I ran out of fabric, or both. 

On the beach at Half Moon Bay, CA
For the yellow one I used a solid yellow for the hood, and mixed the stripes on the body/sleeves. Here I am modeling it (ooh, and also wearing the Ooh la leggings!):

I cut the pocket on the bias, so the stripes wouldn't all blend together.



hoodies up!
You could maybe shorten the length an inch or two, but since its a casual top, I just left it as is.

The plan was for the pocket and cuffs to be solid yellow, but its ever so slightly a different shade. You can't really tell in the hood, but it was more obvious on the pocket when it was next to the stripes. So I switched to bold stripes for the pocket and wrist cuffs and thin stripes for the waistband.

Sewn up, all the yellow doesn't seem as startling as it did when i just had piles of fabric.
The pattern easy to assemble and the directions are clear.  I was happy with the XS fit, I wouldn't go any smaller but I would probably go bigger if I made it in a heavier fabric - mine are pretty lightweight, they're really like tshirts with a hood (because it hasn't been cold here!).  The hood fit my large head.  The sleeves are extra long, they're like that on the Coppelia as well, but the cuffs keep them from getting in the way. As you can see with the yellow version, you can really mix up your fabrics, color block, whatever. You can make it hoodless and just finish the neckline. Its very versatile.

*Side note about the dino fabric.  I always wear bright lipstick with this, because I don't want to be mistaken for a little boy. There is a good reason for this - when I sent my mom pix of the finished hoodie, she said that my nephew would love it! She went and bought the same fabric, and I sent her the boys version of Simplicity 1605 and traced the hood part of the pattern for her, and she sewed an almost identical version for him!!

I recommend this pattern if you're looking for something casual and easy. I made this in a few hours on Saturday. I plan to make myself another with the front pocket, maybe in some fun contrasting colors.  If CA ever has winter again, I'd like to make one in a heavier knit. Also Papercut ships free worldwide and they arrive pretty quickly, so not bad!

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!