Vintage McCalls 2665 - a little black dress

This is one of my Etsy finds from Miss Betty's Attic - a vintage McCalls dress pattern from the 1970.

I love vintage patterns because many of the dresses have long double-ended darts on the back, which means the end result fits my swayback with no adjustments.  I planed to make the short, collarless version.  It came in a size 36, which is pretty close to my measurements, but I made a muslin first. I measured the flat pattern, thought it would be too large, so took in the muslin about 1/2" on the seams.  The muslin fit until it hit my ribs - then wouldn't close! So I cut the fabric using the original pattern, and decided I'd just take it in as I went.

My fabric was a black stretch cotton pique from Gorgeous fabrics.
It looks gray in the photo, but it's black.
The pique, in action.
This is pretty simple to sew, there's not too much going on here.  I sewed it up except for the sleeves, tried it on, then took in about 1" on each side, then added the sleeves. I also shortened it quite a bit because it looked kind of sad when it was longer- so now it's a mini! (I ALWAYS have to shorten vintage patterns.  This version on the model is knee length, and I took at least 4" off of it JUST TO MAKE IT KNEE LENGTH.  Were women taller in the 70s?)  Because I made it short, I left a bit of ease in the bodice - short or tight, but not both!

Maybe it looks a bit like a figure skater? I'm ready for my free skate!

I think this fabric is a little too stiff for this dress - I think it would look better in something a little softer. Maybe one of the double-knits in my stash.  And I think I need to take in the shoulder a little - the sleeves are sort of hanging off the edge! (Another thing I've noticed about vintage patterns. Very broad, and I am not narrow shouldered to begin with!)  But I do like it - its basic but a good showcase for my long necklaces. I even wore it to work, only with opaque tights and boots.
No fabric pooling over my arse! 
Warning - pasty legs ahead:


See - its a little short!!
Oh, this fabric is a magnet for orange hair.  I need black cats or the ability to wear orange, but I have neither.
Time to go inside...the sunlight is creeping towards my pale pale legs!
Overall, I like this pattern. I have several vintage patterns that are sort of a variation on this theme, so I may try some of those but I may eventually make this again.  I like that it's simple enough that it would work with a pattern, or you could make a simple LBD.

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!