StyleArc Elizabeth top

I just completed my first attempt at the StyleArc Elizabeth top. It didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but I will persevere!


This is a simple top with a drape front, and can be made in a knit or woven.  StyleArc patterns are sold single sized, so I bought an 8.

I used a couple of rayon-lycra knits, a black one from Mood and a multi-color one from CaliFabrics.com
Cuter in swatch form than garment form. Just because its green doesn't mean I should buy it!

Tim advised me not to do it in two colors, saying it was too court jester.  I think he would prove to be correct.....
I cut and sewed this pattern in about 4 hours, its pretty quick. It turned out very nicely, except that its not at all flattering on me and looks like a maternity top. But it looks great on a hanger! (I agree that I would prefer it in solids. Damn him! He is my Tim Gunn, I should listen to him.)

I think the look on my face sums it up.  This post brought to you by the maternity section at Target.  Not helped by my fabric choice. I hate when Tim is right!

Its too long, so the back is especially unflattering (warning not safe for weak stomachs).

ugh. I gained 20 lbs this afternoon I guess.
If you have slim hips this wouldn't be a problem, but it doesn't work on me. So I plan to take about 3" or so off the length, all around.  Its also just too big. I know the front drape requires it to be loose fitting, but I could take 2" off each side seam and it would still be a loose-fitting top on me. (That's exactly what I plan to do: make it in a solid, take a few inches off the bottom and off the side seams).
the front piece stitched down for a couple of inches, so it won't blow open and expose too much.

The version I made would probably look fine on a tall or pregnant person, but its not a good look for me. This isn't a knock on the pattern, its a fail on my part.  But I think it has potential, so I'm going to try it again with the alterations.

***UPDATE***
Tonight I made some alterations. I took 3" off of the bottom, all the way around.  I basically cut it so that the back of the shirt came just to the small of my back - no plopping all that fabric on my ass.  Then I took in the side seams 2" ON EACH SIDE.  And it is still loose enough to maintain the front wrap/drape without pulling open.  I also tucked up the sleeves - I think they look better short or maybe 3/4 length, but on me, the elbow length looks matronly.  I still don't like my fabric, but I like the shirt much better! Pics:
Oh look I lost the 20 lbs I apparently gained making this! 

Side view.

Original sleeve length....

Sleeves a  little shorter? Yes?

Hmm.....do I like it?

I feel SO much better in this version!
I'm happy that this looked better with a few easy tweaks. It looked so cute in the line drawing, I really wanted it to work.  I recommend measuring the flat pattern or even making a muslin (which I don't normally do with knits, or tops in generally, really!).  I have made StyleArc size 8 patterns before, but this one seemed much larger, even considering the fact that it is not a fitted top. I took out 4" and it still has plenty of ease.  This may vary with your body shape, or bust size; length will be the same. I'm only 5'4", so if you're taller then you probably don't need to shorten it.

 I think I will make it again, in a solid color, with my new alterations. Now I'll go relax and celebrate my successful salvage mission!

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!